A Selfless Voice is a Soulful Voice
When getting behind the microphone, we voice actors can often take the approach of making the script about ourselves and actually forget- we are in the service business. What do I mean by this? It means that we allow fear and judgement to enter into the booth without an invitation and take away the true authenticity of the scripts full intent for serving others in the process.
It’s OK! we all have done it and it will not be the last time we do it as voice actors. Sometimes we get so excited about the call for an audition or feedback from and agent, that we don’t allow ourselves to become the emotions or character in the story unfolding inside the booth.
Try to remember why we are called into the booth as actors and know that you ARE enough to deliver your purpose. I have documented some words that have been helpful to me as a voice actor and I hope they will serve you well also- let’s take a look…
- It’s not about you. Tell your ego to sit down and you will have less concerns of making mistakes and more discoveries in growing as a voice actor.
- Know what the message is for the brand or the story and become that feeling/emotion by becoming the messenger.
- Now that you have the scripts intent…where and how are you going to allow yourself to cultivate this emotion?
- We all have a past filled with life’s pulses of emotions – take your self there and align it with the focused intent of the script or booth- director’s request.
- Give all those moments we have inside our souls new beginnings when and if necessary for delivering the scripts purpose and allowing your talents as an actor to speak into the microphone with authenticity.
- Finally, LET- IT- GO…again, I approach the booth knowing this job is not about me and that I am only a messenger being called upon to bring truths in honoring the scripts and stories I have the opportunities to be a part of in this amazing journey of voice acting.
Good Voice Acting should Be Transformative
I truly believe the more you can discover all the emotional truths that the script is offering you, the better your delivery in every way. Take your time to read through the scripts and extract the words that honor the writer’s intent.
How is this transformative? As I stated earlier, as a voice actor, you need to take your acting talents and align them with the emotions being asked of you. It is your responsibility to become the character and allowing that transformation to give itself through you in a beautiful and selfless act.
Ask yourself these Questions before sending in that audition…
- Do I sound believable?
- Did I serve the character?
- Did I allow myself to be fully present in the booth as a voice actor?
- Were you able to self direct and make emotional turns when needed?
- Am I over thinking for perfection vs. just performing what you know?
These questions at some point in our journey with voice acting have all found us inside the booth. I believe that if we allow the emotions on the page to enter into our creative space as actors- we can more fully reciprocate what the writers, directors and producers are seeking to accomplish through us.
The key word I want to stress is- allow. It is our responsibility as voice actors to first, listen to the environment that’s alive on the page that helps us with the transformation into character – then we can cultivate with our talents given to only be heard as voice actors in giving to the scene and script.
I absolutely love this industry of amazing, talented actors and artist that uphold the foundations we stand on daily as voice actors. Collaborating and working with people who are so focused on their craft and selflessly giving their best work into the lives of animation, commercial, narration, on film and many other platforms is such a pulse of authentic presence.
Yes…The more Selfless you are in the booth- The more Transformative you become as an actor.
For me, being in the booth for voice acting can be a lot like trying to live my life outside of the booth. There is a lot of noise in the world that can try to take away the daily truths of doing great work and serving others around us, but that’s what life is –a constant tension of shadow and light.
Only when we can take ourselves and ego away from the scripts on page and life…can we begin to see more clearly of what is being asked of us. The transformation comes when we say, “ok- it’s not about me. I am just the messenger for this journey, project or scripts being asked of me.” Remember, you are enough or you wouldn’t be here.