Are you a wing or a weight?
What do I mean by this? The question I am seeking is …. Are you surrounding your thoughts and your actions with an environment for growth and development or one that feels like your standing all alone with know one to guide your steps as a voice actor.
I have crossed the paths hundreds of many voice actors out in the travels of this industry and the very first thing that most voice actors ask is “who are you studying with and what conferences have you attended?” Not because they are ready to size up the competition….but don’t be mistaken, we are all auditioning. It is because the busy, caring and working voice actors want to know who they are communicating with, because in this industry, your voice matters in more ways than just behind the microphone.
The brands of course are a great asset to your website and do give you nice voice acting credit, but the many voice actors that I have had the privilege of being a part of in friendships are very keen on knowing that you are not only a quality person in the booth, but your character of how you carry yourself in this arena of entertainment will far succeed your talents. The veterans in the industry know…but for many of the new voice actors who have entered into this platform of entertainment, well… here we go.
- Seek coaches with known respect in the industry that have credited work.
- Surround yourself with other voice actors weekly when available.
- Get involved with a voice acting workout group.
- Be a wing to another voice actor’s weight and you both will fly.
- None of us do this journey alone.
- Practice when you don’t feel like it…all the working voice actors do.
- Your skills are the wings to others weaknesses and vice versa…go.
Be a wing to those people around you and I promise you that your business relations and your business revenue will grow into the brand you desire and so much more for your life. Giving your voice to others is what you do, so don’t stop when you exit the booth.
Grandma told you to say please and thank you…so do it already?!
In a world of memes and gifs to express all our emotions and complete sentences into one image… I get it, it saves time and it is fun! There is no replacing your actual voice saying and using beautiful manners along this awesome voice acting journey. Your voice is your currency in so many more ways than you can imagine and ohhhh…are people watching and listening behind all those cute little txt you share.
Your clients and potential clients are breathing and living life just like you in the world. Remind yourself that they are families, parents, students, business owners and human beings with the weight of the world being enough…remember, be a wing and you both fly. You have to respect their time in all ways, just as you would expect them upon your efforts. Relationships are your best friends in this entertainment world, with of course the quality of work pushing the craft to the shores of success we are all on together.
Make time for yourself to do these kind gestures. Yes, it needs to be a part of who you are with your business plan daily. These kind and selfless acts will take you along your journey into some amazing places long after your voice acting gigs in the booth. I have been a business owner for 17 years now and the business only has that kind of leverage of knowledge and expertise because of the wonderful people in my circle of life…assisting one another to achieve our goals aligned.
- Send thank you cards with your hand written message.
- Listen to what your clients like to do outside of voice acting.
- Take time to send a holiday card or message… yes it matters.
- Mention them on your social media sites to praise them when they ROCK!!
- Simply reach out and ask if they would like to meet up for coffee/Tea
- Remember, we are all navigating this voice acting daily to add value.
Voice acting is a gift and it should be unwrapped with the efforts of only gestures that will truly give value into the world around us as great communicators in this entertainment business.
“The best of booth worlds.”
As voice actors I know how we love our booths, no matter how elaborate or being awesome from our closets in the bedroom. As I stated earlier in this blog, you must cultivate your gifts and talents with people who LOVE this business and can relate to your voice acting grind you give to the world. Being inside of your booth all day is sometimes necessary for auditions and clients directing you, but you MUST make time to connect with this amazing voice acting community…in the communities we serve.
I recently traveled to Nashville and Atlanta because I wanted and needed to be around some of the best voices in the industry. Voices behind the microphone and voices across a table sharing a meal and doing life together. I love these people, my people, our people…that are so kind and giving the best they can in adding value to brands and creative projects all around the globe.
- We all have the weights of life that need to be listened to.
- As a voice actor, be a better listener in and out of the booth.
- The world will give you signs to follow if you are honest with yourself.
- Discover who you are and lean into all of it…good and bad.
- Make time for you to hear the voices from others that need you.
As I stated earlier, please keep the focus on being a wing to others in this industry. I know it can be lonely and isolated chasing your dreams out there. Just know that so many others are doing the same and feeling the same emotions… but eventually you meet and all patience and hard work comes to light in the makings of something greater than yourself. See you out there voice actors.